Meet the Morton Michel Team – an interview with Gary Harrison, Head of Commercial
14th September 2018
Share this entry:
- Firstly, what drew you towards working in the childcare/early years sector?
I was drawn by the vibrancy and humbleness of the sector. It’s incredibly innovative and the people that work within it are a joy to know.
- What do you enjoy most about your job, and how long have you been doing it for?
I have worked in the insurance industry for 17 years and pretty much fell into it but have enjoyed every twist, turn and challenge since.
My favourite part of my job is the people. I love to network, developing staff and insurance solutions and I love helping my customers to find the right answers to their needs!
- What skills would you say are absolutely necessary for an early years/childcare professional?
Passion and confidence with a desire to help nurture and educate our younger generations!
- In your opinion, what should children learn and discover from their time in early years care?
Risk and problem solving! Children fall from trees and get muddy knees! I am an advocator of learning through risk, preparing children to cope with challenging situations later in life.
- How do you think technology will influence the sector over the next 5 years?
Technology is a big part of life now. I can still remember when home PC’s were a thing for the privileged and mobile phones could be used as door wedges. I envisage more and more children having access to these resources.
- What is something your business offers that you think more people need to know about?
Understanding and connectivity with the sector – we care and work extremely hard to provide market leading cover for our customers. We even have our own in-house legal researcher to keep in touch with the real issues you face.
- If you could make one change in the early years sector, what would it be?
To recognise it for its professionalism and integral input in the story of the development of our future generations.
- What is the best professional advice you have been given during your career?
Do not get upset if people do not care as much as you do!
- What is your biggest fear?
My partner finding out how much I really spent on my fish tank!
- Which 3 people, famous or otherwise, would you invite to a dinner party?
Andy Day (for the kids)
Harry Potter (every party needs a magician)
James Martin (for catering)
Why attend Childcare Expo?
Join over 2,500 like-minded individuals from the early years sector who are dedicated to improving both practice and their childcare settings.
Attend educational seminars to credit your CPD
Meet the experts to have your questions answered
Receive fantastic onsite offers and discounts
Experience expert-led informative hands-on workshops
Network with peers and industry players
Pick up hundreds of new product ideas and services
And most of all, enjoy a great day out with your colleagues